Liberty United Methodist Church Historical Marker
|Click here for a larger picture of the
||that is in the front church yard.|
The inscription below is from the marker placed in the church yard
by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1958.
About 1786, John Bush built a brush arbor as a community
center for camp meetings at what was then called "Crackers
Neck". From this grew Liberty Chapel, "Cradle of Methodism"
for this region. In 1787, Rev. James Jenkins leader in the
early days of Methodism and, at that time, on the Washington
Circuit including Greene, Taliaferro, Wilkes, Lincoln, Elbert
Hart, Franklin, Madison, and Oglethorpe Counties, preached here
and reported in his "Journal" that, after a "firey exhortation"
a man in uniform came down the aisle and fell at his feet
crying for pardon. Others followed and according to Rev.
Jenkins, then at Liberty Chapel, began the Methodist custom
of "going to the alter". The meeting became so noisy, he con-
tinued, that it was a wonder the horses did not take fright.
Most of the great men of early Methodism were identified with
this church. Bishop Frances Asbury preached here several times
and in 1808 when the South Carolina Conference met here, he
and Bishop William McKendree attended. At Liberty Chapel
Rev. Lovich Pierce was ordained an elder and Bishop William
Capers was admitted as a preacher on trial.